You are hereHome / How to Guide
How to Guide
Conflict Sensitivity Consortium (with support from DFID) has been working since 2008 to enhance the impact of development, humanitarian aid and peacebuilding programming through increased and more effective integration of conflict sensitivity. This experience (drawing from 35 member agencies in 4 countries) has culminated in the production of 'The how to guide to conflict sensitivity'.
This 'how to' guide draws upon consortium experience to illustrate real examples of applying conflict sensitivity. It aims to provide practical advice suitable for anyone aiming to improve conflict sensitivity, whether in the field of development, humanitarian aid or peacebuilding work. It aims to provide practical, user-friendly information for people who are focusing at project or organisation-wide level, whether aiming for best practice or just starting out on the journey towards conflict sensitivity.
The Guide has been organised into six core chapters. Each of these chapters contains a number of sub-themes exploring ‘the what’, ‘the why’ and particularly ‘the how’ of conflict sensitivity. Key areas that will be explored include:
- Chapter 1 – Conflict analysis – provides an introduction to, and practical guidance on, conflict analysis.
- Chapter 2 – Conflict sensitivity in the programme cycle – provides guidance on how to integrate conflict sensitivity across all stages of the project cycle (needs assessment, design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation).
- Chapter 3 – Key Issues for conflict sensitive programming – examines some of the most critical issues for conflict sensitive programming in depth, including targeting, procurement, relationship with communities/ government/partners, feedback/accountability and exit strategies.
- Chapter 4 – Applying conflict sensitivity in emergency responses – provides tailored guidance on conflict sensitive emergency responses. (Arabic version)
- Chapter 5 – Assessing institutional capacity for conflict sensitivity – provides guidance on how to conduct a self-assessment to assess organisational strengths and weaknesses in terms of conflict sensitivity.
- Chapter 6 – Building institutional capacity for conflict sensitivity – provides practical guidance on how to sustainably improve organisation-wide conflict sensitivity.